OK, last week I reblogged a post called Automattic’s Worldwide WP 5K. In case you didn’t read it, the challenge was to get folks all over the world to participate in a 5K in any way that suits them and to just get moving! I promised I would join in the fun and asked my Facebook friends to send me info about how they got moving, too!
So, let me tell you about my 5K, and then I’ll honor all of my friends who were kind enough to play along!
I was scheduled to race with my Athletes in Tandem partner, Zachary. You’ve heard of him, right? He’s the best! The event was the Fast and the Furriest 5K run/walk, sponsored by the Colorado State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital to benefit animals in need of emergency or life-saving treatments. I’ll run for that.
I was bummed to learn that Zachary wasn’t able to make it to the race, but I was ready to go, had my bib number and needed to get my training in for the day, so… I decided to stick around. Besides, there were cute dogs excited to run… everywhere! It was the cutest thing ever! I need a dog!
I found AiT partners Jessica and David and asked if I could join them, support them, push if needed. I haven’t run much in the past year, but decided to give it a try since I have been training hard in so many other ways.
Well, guess what? We made it! David, Jessica, and I crossed the finish line together at 34:22. And they didn’t need my help one bit!
Jessica and David just after the finish line! Awesome job! It was time well spent getting to know you both a little and I look forward to joining you in other upcoming runs!
Here are a couple of other participants:
I don’t know her name, but she sure knew how to pose for the camera!
This guy was just too cute! I wonder… if he and I were in a race together to get to the beer barrel first, who would win? Wait, maybe you shouldn’t answer that!
As for my awesome Facebook friends who joined us for the Worldwide WP 5K,
- Jen Poisson Gehrman (wonderful friend and stepmom to my girl!) – ran 7.89 miles along the Poudre Trail in Greeley, CO
- Bill Gehrman (also great friend and dad to our daughter!) – ran 4.1 miles in Greeley, CO – including the killer hill on 4th St.!
- Wendy Mader (inspiring friend, coach http://www.t2coaching.com/, IRONWOMAN!!!) – cycled 100 miles and ran 15 miles with her cute dogs this week!
- Carrie Powers (a.k.a. the “Stormwater Princess,” friend and colleague) – hiked 6 miles with friends Lisa and Sara at Deer Creek, CO
- Danny Nelson (Wellness Intern Extraordinaire) – umm… mowed a really HUGE lawn!
- Mark Zoeckler (fun friend that I met camping last year, kicked my butt hiking, great photographer!) – cycled 20 miles and ran to a soccer game somewhere in CA
- Lisa Gardner with son Caden (sweet friend who I hope realizes how great she is!) – got moving together… details, details?
- Angie Rhodes (very respected and fun friend, Wellness Guru and Champion!) – rode down the Blue Sky Trail http://www.larimer.org/parks/bluesky.htm and then mountain biked with her little munchkin!
- Alicia Vance Aguiar (blast from my past, beautiful singing voice, former Bearcat friend!) – ran 4.7 miles on her treadmill in Cedar Rapids, IA
- Cindy Arnold Humiston (neat lady and triathlete I met recently in my FB fitness group!) – 50 mile bike ride AND an 8-mile raft ride down the Animas River through Durango, CO! Woo-hoo!
- Joey Henderson (fun friend, crazy talented with his mountain bike after only a year of doing it… I tried to keep up with him ONCE) – mountain biked and took this pic at Pine Ridge Natural Area in Fort Collins, CO
Thanks to everyone who sent me their info! I love it! And I love Colorado!
Next week is the Colorado Marathon – I know many people who are running either the marathon, the half, or the 10K. I’ll be there at the 10K with my AiT partner Zachary so stay tuned!
I’m really looking forward to it! Peace. Out.